The LSSICE applies to any kind of file or device that is downloaded to a user's terminal equipment in order to store data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those files for general use that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies (in Spanish, cookies) are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that this information can be retrieved later while browsing the different pages that are connected to the server that installed them.
The cookies usually store technical information, personal preferences, content personalization, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
Next, a classification of cookies is made based on a series of categories. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that the same cookie can be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own cookies: Are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third party cookies: Are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they are not considered own cookies.
Depending on the period of time they remain activated
Depending on the period of time they remain activated in the terminal equipment, we can distinguish:
- Session Cookies: They are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that only interests to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent Cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, and which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies is processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical cookies: They are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist there, such as, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access to restricted access parties, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for the dissemination of videos or Sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: They are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user's terminal such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, the regional settings from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: They are those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which it provides the requested service based on criteria such as content edited or the frequency at which the ads are displayed.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which it provides the requested service. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows developing a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies in the main web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted
The rejection of cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.